Creative Media (Option Subject)
Creative Media Production gives students the knowledge needed to target and plan media products alongside the opportunity to apply these skills in a vocational setting. Pupils will also be given the opportunity to further develop their analytical skills through looking at and investigating different media types and analysing the use of various media strategies, within these different mediums e.g. film, radio, magazine. Pupils that study the course, will have the opportunity to develop their research and evaluation skills, when looking at what makes an effective front page magazine cover (for example). Pupils are given the chance to engage with all the different types of media, allowing them, to broaden their horizons and see how media has an impact in all aspects of life, and how it affects them and can facilitate their potential future careers in media.
The aim of the course is to:
- Develop key skills that prove aptitude in creative media production such as, investigating and developing ideas through pre-production, production, and post-production of media products.
- Become versatile in real-life situations, such as responding to briefs and feedback, planning, and generating ideas.
- Develop time-management and communication skills.
- Enhance knowledge that underpins effective use of skills, processes, and attitudes in the sector such as production processes and techniques.
How the Media curriculum contributes to the school’s curriculum intent
- Knowledge is developed about different media aspects. Pupils are exposed to a variety of different techniques used to create media products and pupils will also be assessed on their understanding of the course, through their coursework and snapshot assessments.
- Vocabulary rich through constantly developing and expanding on the pupils’ vocabulary. Studying media, requires the pupils to know and understand media specific subject vocabulary, that will be constantly revisited through the course. Pupils will be given the chance to speak and write like a specialist in the world of media.
- Aspiration through allowing the pupils to experience real life media settings. Pupils will be able to visit Media City in Salford, to show them how media works in the real world. This in turn will give the pupils the inspiration to want to aspire to become professionals in the world of media.
- Character building through teamwork and group work within lessons in AHS. Group learning will allow the pupils to use their language skills comfortably in front of their peers and allow them to build up relationships and develop their character in different settings.
- Love learning as pupils study engaging Media lessons. Pupils will be challenged to their ability to ensure that they can access all work and that they love the learning and progress and develop a love of learning. In addition, pupils will also be given the experience to look at how media is used first hand in the outside world.
Knowledge Organisers – Autumn Term
- Year 10
- Year 11